Sunday, July 16, 2006

An idea



Currently gracing stages in theatre districts around the world are two shows based on similar principles. ‘Mamma Mia’ and ‘We Will Rock You’ are two musical stage productions telling two different stories constructed around songs made famous by ABBA and Queen respectively.
I must admit that I am yet to watch either show, despite positive reports and the fact that both are currently being staged right here in Cape Town. They do however rank highly on my list of ‘things to do’.
The reason however that I’m blogging about this particular form of theatre is because I have an idea. I feel it’s a very good idea; one of those ideas that is such a natural extension of reality that is sometimes seems hard to even claim it as an idea that exists as an entity unto itself. The idea: a similar musical production based on the music of the eighties Swedish pop legends Marie Fredriksson and Per Gessle, more affectionately known to us as Roxette.
Can you imagine how great it’d be! The story would naturally have to be about young love and heartbreak, the fashions strictly 80’s and the choreography largely interpretive…

Picture it:
The curtain rises; two right spotlights shine onto the crowd off of the dark stage… The music slowly builds volume as the intense spots dim and the backlights brighten creating the effect of a car driving closer towards us. The car ‘stops’, but the music keeps playing as a stunningly attractive young man steps out of the drivers door. He’s just less than six feet tall, medium build, blue eyes, slightly curly hair short. The resemblance to Jude Law is uncanny, but you all recognise him as (self clamed) Mr Rhodes 2005. He gets out and starts singing a narrative…


“I'll tell you what I've done
I'll tell you what I do
been driving all nite
just to get close to you
baby babe - I'm moving so fast
you'd better come on

The moon is alright
the freeway's heading south
my heart is going Boom!
there's a strange taste in my mouth
baby babe - I'm moving real fast
so try to hold on
try to hold on!

Sleeping in my car - I will undress you
sleeping in my car - I will caress you
staying in the back seat of my car making up

So come out tonight
I'll take you for a ride
this steamy ol' wagon
the radio is getting wild
baby babe - we're moving so fast
I try to hang on
try to hang on!

Sleeping in my car - I will undress you
sleeping in my car - I will caress you
staying in the back seat of my car making love - oh yea!

Sleeping in my car - I will possess you
sleeping in my car - certainly bless you
laying in the back seat of my car making up

The night is so pretty and so young
the night is so pretty and so young
so very young...

Sleeping in my car - I will undress you
sleeping in my car - I will caress you
staying in the back seat of my car making love to you

Sleeping in my car - I will possess you
sleeping in my car - certainly bless you
laying in the back seat of my car making up

I will undress you
I will undress you

The night is so pretty and so young” (© Gessle - Jimmy Fun Music)


The attractive young man dips his head after the final choral verse and staring off into the distance simply says “Oh Paulo!” before locking the car and walking into the little house he’s parked right next to.

Cut to a scene of the inside of a small apartment. There’s a main room with some shoddy couches and a little open-plan kitchen. There are two couches, one blue and one red, with bright cushions and aopen-plan kitchen opening onto the venue. Sitting on the red couch is a beautiful young woman with long blonde hair, parted in the centre. She’s smoking with trembling fingers and she wears a chain from her belt that has a cigarette lighter attached to the end of it.

Girl: “Kirblestien! You’re home! How did it go?”
Boy: “Oh Becclestien… you know how he is! I’m so confused, I just love him so, but I never know where I stand!”
Girl: “Oh buddy! I know, I know. Love sucks man! You know what’ll really cheer us up though?”
Boy: “I hope I’m thinkning what you’re thinking…”
Girl “I bet you are…”
Both “One of our fabulous candle-lit dinner parties!!!”
Girl: “I’ll call everyone!”
Boy: “Yay! I’ll start cooking! [Pause] Hey Beccle, what about a guest of interest?”
Girl: “Hmmm. Good idea. There are so many people in this town on the verge of coming out who are clearly so in love with both of us… who will we invite?”
Boy “Hey, I have an idea… what about that Alicia? She’s been telling Paulina how keen she is to arty with the crew and the babe seems like she could totally get jiggy after a few brandy and cokes!”
Girl: “Great idea!”

Both suddenly burst into scene of amazingly sexy interpretive dance while singing dressed for success…

Now I’m going to have to pull in the reigns here, because I f I publish the entire script on my blog, chances are it’ll be snapped up and someone will make a lot of money off of it. Needless to say, I intend to title the work with the name of a Roxette song (as seems to be customary in the genre) hence the script you’ve seen will be the beginning of “The Big L”. Many of you will know the rest of this tale, but I feel the score will read a little like this:
“Secrets that she keeps” - Alica arrives at dinner party and makes a grand confession
“Crush on You” – more of Alicia’s confessions
“Goodbye to You” – Beccle to Alicia
“Sleeping Single” – Beccle arriving home drunk
“Coming Back (Before you Leave)” – Alicia rapping on the door to Beccle and Kirble’s house
“The Big L” – Beccle and Kirble’s midnight musical hit to find Alicia knocking on their door
“Dangerous” – Beccle to Kirble once Alicia has passed out in Beccle’s bed
“It must have been love” – Beccle, Kirble, Paulina and Toe-rag try to understand Alicia’s behaviour…

and so it goes…

Watch out for this one folks, it could be huge!

3 Comments:

Blogger Carlz said...

Hysterical!!! true genius and so damn wanky that you can't help love it to pieces!!!!!
Would love to get involved - maybe I can do some marketing - put together a fab campaign (not that it would need one cos I think the show will sell itself) so looking forward to the next installment! amazing!

3:05 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

Kirblestien, you never cease to amaze me! Even though I would not part with a single cent to see a Roxette production (Cause I know you'd hok me up) I do enjoy your crazy ideas and interesting dialogue involving "Alicia". Much Love.

4:57 AM  
Blogger Carlz said...

I have seen Roxette live - about 10 years ago - and they were banging and rocking!!!!
Can't wait to re-live the experience ;)

12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home